Thursday, September 7, 2023

Self Introduction: Drive for Innovation and Growth

Subject: Self Introduction Email

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Lucas Lian and I am currently a Year 1 Mechanical Engineering student in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). My interest in engineering sparked when I wanted to come up with new product designs and ideas to make the world a better place.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) with a diploma in Engineering with Business. I had a small interest in engineering before entering polytechnic. Hence, this course caught my attention. It comprises of engineering modules and business modules, building around entrepreneurship and startups.

The greatest strength of mine is my ability to lead and make informed decisions. I led a team in the pioneering of an integrated joss paper burner which aimed to reduce air pollution and the work of cleaners especially during the seventh lunar month. With this project, my team and I took part in SP’s Design Contest and attained third place. This allowed us to take part in the UON Young Sustainability Innovators Challenge.

However, I believe one of my weaknesses is speaking confidently in front of large audiences. I would usually avoid eye contact due to my nervousness. Usually, I feel more confident when speaking and voicing my opinions in a smaller setting.

By the end of this module, I want to be more confident when speaking to a large audience. Additionally, I want to improve my writing skills in terms of language as I am not so conversant.

Lastly, I believe what makes me stand out is my quick adaptability to changes, especially when working in a new environment. I also have high expectations of myself when it comes to quality of work.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and I look forward to learning more from you.


Yours sincerely,

Lucas Lian


Revised on 25 September 2023

Quinian, Shakthi, Ernest

8 comments:

  1. Lucas very well described reasoning to join an Engineering course, also you included an achievement of winning the innovation competition which lets me get to know more about you. based on your strength I see that you may have good leadership skills. overall, a very well put introduction email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucas! I like how you wrote your letter about Self Introduction. I feel that this letter is very well organized and most of the points were written. I would also like to congratulate you on getting third in SP’s Design Contest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lucas, you description of yourself is in-depth and I feel like I got to know how are like a person more. Your points are clearly explained and it is well brought over from one point to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lucas, for this well crafted letter, one in which you provide lots of relevant information that leads us readers to having a better understanding of who you are. I especially appreciate learning about your previous project work. I'm sure that experience will come in handy as you work on our module's project.

    As for your lack of confidence speaking in front of big groups, I'd advise you to take every opportunity given in this module to do just that: Contribute to general discussions. Since we will be starting our group project this coming week, you will have a chance to meet and voluntgeer to be the lead or a speaker. Embrace the chance for more change!

    Generally, your letter is well articulated. Here are a couple minor issues to resolve:

    1. sentence structure
    -- Having a small interest in engineering before entering polytechnic, this course caught my attention. > (Who had an interest? Not the course, right?) ?

    2. verb tense/punctuation
    -- I led a team in the pioneering of an integrated joss paper burner which aims to reduce air pollution and the work of cleaners especially during the seventh lunar month. > (inconsistent verb tense) ?
    I led a team in the pioneering of an integrated joss paper burner, which aimED to reduce air pollution and the work of cleaners, especially during the seventh lunar month.

    3. You mention that your interest developed " when I wanted to come up with new product designs and ideas to make the world a better place." What was the context of that?

    I look forward to hearing more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you prof for the comments and I will take your feedback and edit my letter accordingly.

      Delete

My Critical Reflection

Before taking this module, I thought that this module would be like the general modules I have taken back in Polytechnic and that it would b...